Saturday, October 11, 2008

I Love Fall... Where Did It Go?

I Love Fall! I love to watch the trees turn colors. I love "sweater weather". I love that it isn't extremely hot or cold. I love that fall means we are getting ready for the holiday season. I love that fall is a time of crafts, projects, canning, harvesting, and knowing the next few months is a lot of time we get to spend with family. But, it seems this year we have gone straight from summer to fall. (We also went straight from winter to summer with very little spring.) Last week we were in the 80's and today it is snowing. I am sad that our fall season only lasted a few days. Maybe we will be lucky and it is just a cold spell and we will get some fall weather for at least a few weeks.
Adam was excited to see the snow. He ran around laughing in it. And then he stood in wonder and just watched it come down. I wish I had my camera closer at hand to capture the wonder on his face. He would hold out his hand and try to catch it. Great Grandma and Grandpa Adams came over for lunch today and they were here no longer than 30 seconds when Adam took Grandpa outside to show him the cool white stuff he had discovered. They quickly found the swings and other fun things to play with in the yard. As you can see in the background we have our entire garden up except for the tomato plant which is seeking cover under the blanket. Who knows if they will make it through this weekend.



Despite the short fall season, we have been able to get in quite a few projects. We have been busy getting the house and yard ready for winter, harvested the garden, did some canning, and have been working on projects to get ready for our new baby. Just today we got Adam's new room and the baby's room painted. We still have a long way to go until they are completely done and ready - but the painting was a great first step. And, finally we got new shutters up on the house - it only took us five years to get that accomlished.

We have spent a lot of time with our garden this year and working on our food storage. There is such a sense of accomplishment to walk into our storage room and know that we have food storage and are working on following the prophets council. We by no means have everything that we need to have a complete storage, but we are much further along than we were a year ago. And so, I share with you a few pictures of those projects.

These are some of my sewing projects that I have been working on for the baby. The colors are a little more vibrant than what show up in the pictures. The first is a blanket that I made out of scraps from some of the carseat blankets that I have made for the Baby Boutique. The next picture is only burp cloths - but again, mostly out of left over fabric. The last is a carseat blanket that I made. Slowly but surely we are getting ready for a little girl at our house. These are not professional or by any means great sewing projects, but they cost me next to nothing, which it he best part. I also made a nursing cover. (If you want to see more carseat blankets, nursing covers, hair bows, etc. Go to KD's Baby Boutique - my sister does most of it, but I help with some of the items).

Adam and Great Grandpa playing on the swings in the snow.

3 comments:

kimberly said...

Well, I hope some fall comes back for you! We are just getting into Fall, finally, here in AZ. It is such a beautiful time here when you can be outside and enjoy it!
Adam has grown so much in his pictures you post! He looks so much like a little boy now instead of a toddler!

Dalling Family said...

How fun for Adam and the snow...I had Bri look at it through the window instead of enjoying it (partially due to the baby and I don't have a fence to contain Bri). The fruits of your labor look yummy!

marisa said...

your food storage is amazing! way to go jilly! we really need to have a taiwan get together one of these days!